Sunday, February 19, 2012

What it is like to get a referral...

When you first hear the words "I have some exciting news for you, please call me back" from your social worker - you know. You just know. No social worker on the planet is going to call out of the blue when you are paper ready and say those words unless they mean it. But I don't think you are ever ready for it. I mean after two years of this adoption journey you still can't really be ready to hear those words.

The first day was pure shock and joy. We giggled and laughed and giggled some more. We couldn't stop smiling. I literally jumped up and down. We didn't see any photos at first, just heard the details. Every little detail is so crazy precious. But 75% of that first phone call went right out the second ear. My work day was shot. We went to a local christian cafe nearby and had lunch together. We just sat there giggling at each other and reviewing what we knew so far. And just big eyed shock. And more giggling.

The next day or two was even more emotional. Mostly tears. As you review the details. Learn the history. Know the story. It. Breaks. Your. Heart. I cried. and cried. and cried. I had so much joy in the future, but so much sadness for the past. Wishing I could have done something sooner to stop it.

The following days and weeks of preparation are mostly anxious focus. There is so much to do no matter how long until you leave. So many what ifs.

No details - but we love him. He is beautiful.  God is good.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! So exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you. I had to take off work for the afternoon on the day we got our referral, too. Anxiously awaiting more details...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!