Thursday, December 15, 2011

Our Wedding Day, and my Prince


Love at first sight might not be the exact term to describe us. I mean we fell in love more and more over time. But by the end of my first date with Mr Awesome I knew that this was the very husband I had asked the Lord for. He fit absolutely every little thing I had ever prayed for my husband and more. It was as if the Lord opened up the heavens and mr awesome walked down the stairs and the Lord said - "Here he is! Just like you asked!" So, though our love grew over time, we knew right away we were our lobsters.


Perhaps it was 6 months before he proposed to me but I think we were engaged from the moment our eyes first met, at least in our hearts. We knew a long engagement was a good idea so others could get used to it and we could have time to prepare for each other. So we set our wedding date for about 15 months after our first date. When he asked my dad for my hand, my dad told him "I have been praying God would bring an amazing Christian man into Maggie's life to be her husband. I know that you are the one I have been praying for." My dad would tell me early on that when I was with mr awesome he could see in my eyes that I was happier and more at peace than he had ever seen me.


Now, I have friends who married quick in a courthouse and regret it. I have friends who always say "one day we will have the wedding I always wanted", and they never do. So, while I didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on our wedding, I wanted it to be something we would remember and be happy about.


Now, for a long time after our wedding mr awesome and I would cringe when we talked about it. It was beautiful. It was amazing. It was more than I could hope for. It was fun. In fact, I have to say it was the most fun I have had at a wedding. It wasn't the stress most people talk about. I had fun. I spent time with friends and family. We danced, laughed, and ate, and drank, and talked, and danced. It was amazing. It felt like a fairy tale. So why would we cringe?



Basically mr awesome didnt do something he said he would the morning of the wedding, and while my friends and I were scurrying to finish things he relaxed by the pool with his family. I spent the morning calling him prince <insertRealNameHere> (in a sarcastic tone).


One of my besties, A, was trying to knock me out of my mania and while I was sitting on the balcony having my hair done at my mom's, she asked me to do the ABCs of why I love mr awesome. Kind of like when we are stressed or mad and we do the ABCs of how the Lord blesses us. Every time she would give me a letter I would say something negative. And shed frown. And I would call him "the prince" in that obnoxious tone. We got through it. Regardless of my anger at the situation (which was clearly amplified by the anxiety of the wedding day), I knew that mr awesome was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with and melted ice certainly didn't change that.



At this point its not a cringe-worthy event anymore. We laugh at it. I realized something recently. I spent the day calling mr awesome a prince, and the truth is he is my prince. He has come into my life and swept me off my feet and carried me away on the back of his horse. He loves me, protects me, spoils me, indulges me, cares for me, stands up for me, and would absolutely put everything on the line for my well being. He doesn't always give me everything I want, but he gives me everything I need, most of what I want, and all that is good for me. Sometimes I want to be irresponsible but he is forever responsible and forever a rule follower. If something isn't good for us in the long run, he won't concede. Which is not to say that he doesn't spoil me. When something is wrong he rushes to me. When someone has offended me he rushes to me and stands in front of me. When I am weak he holds me up. When I am sad he wipes my tears and holds my hand. When I am mad he takes up a sword. When I am wrong with others he softly tells me that I am wrong. When I am wrong with him he is silent. He prays with me. He prays for me. He reads me the bible. He constantly reminds me of God's love for me.



Sound familiar? We are told to find a man who reflects Christ and marry him. I have indeed done that. Not to pat my own back... I would have had to have been completely blind deaf and dumb to not have seen my prince when he descended those stairs and the Lord presented him to me exactly as I had asked.



Tomorrow is the four year anniversary of our first date. Every day I love him more than the day before. I am a loved and adored wife. I am a loved and adored child of God. I am a blessed woman. And certainly... I married a prince.

1 comment:

  1. My brother in Christ is really something, isn't he :D
    I do also think your wedding was awesome, and I had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!